Grand Brass Lamp Parts
The Lighting Parts Super Store
Grand Brass Lamp Parts has served the Retail and wholesale lamp parts, lighting parts, and chandelier parts industry since 1913. We are the oldest supplier of lamp making supplies in the USA.
We also carry replacement lamp glass and lighting glass such as 2-1/4" fitter glass shades, torchiere glass shades, student shades, school house glass shades and many styles of antique reproduction glass shades. Large selection of lamp parts and chandelier parts including lamp sockets, crystal prisms, chandelier ceiling canopies, lamp wire, cord switches, lamp dimmers, floor lamp glass, fixture chain and all the supplies for making lamps.
Let us be your lamp making parts supplier.
- * Wire Manufacturing and Processing of Cloth Covered Wire and Powercords
- * UL Listings and Assembly
- * Manufacturing and Machining of Turn and Cast Metal
- * Branding and Lazer Engraving
- * 10,000+ items in stock at our Fulfillment Center
UL stands for Underwriters Laboratories, a nonprofit safety organization established over 100 years ago. More information on this organization can be found at the UL Web site.
UL is world recognized as a leader in product safety testing and certification. Not many things are more important than product safety, when it comes to choosing a lighting supplier.
Here are some of the reasons why UL Certification is so important:
- STANDARDS: UL inherently requires and tests for safety. Through comprehensive procedures and guidelines UL requires their standards are met before certification is granted.
- VERIFICATION: A local UL field representative will visit a manufacturer at least four times per year to verify that the Listing Mark is only applied to products that are being built in accordance with the UL requirements.
- COMMITMENT: When manufacturers are UL certified is shows their continued commitment to safety and quality. We pride ourselves on being a UL certified LED lighting module supplier.
We pride ourselves on being a UL certified supplier. Listed below are our various certifications with links.
|Category Name||Link to File|
|Appliance Wiring Material - Component||AVLV2.E357805|
|Appliance Wiring Material Certified for Canada - Component||AVLV8.E357805|
|Attachment Plugs, Fuseless||AXUT.E360274|
|Attachment Plugs, Fuseless Certified for Canada||AXUT7.E360274|
|Cord Sets and Power-supply Cords||ELBZ.E355225|
|Cord Sets and Power-supply Cords Certified for Canada||ELBZ7.E355225|
|Flexible Cord Certified for Canada||ZJCZ7.E467758|
|Flexible Cord Certified for Canada||ZJCZ7.E357297|
|Incandescent Surface-mounted Luminaires||IEZR.E331312|
|Incandescent Surface-mounted Luminaires Certified for Canada||IEZR7.E331312|
|Lampholders, Medium Base||ONHR.E224663|
|Lampholders, Medium Base - Component||ONHR2.E224663|
|Lampholders, Medium Base Certified for Canada||ONHR7.E224663|
|Lampholders, Medium Base Certified for Canada - Component||ONHR8.E224663|
|Luminaire Fittings - Component||IFFX2.E466266|
|Luminaire Fittings Certified for Canada - Component||IFFX8.E466266|
|Luminaires, Portable Certified for Canada||QOWZ7.E331309|
|Power and Control Tray Cable||QPOR.E467754|
|Power and Control Tray Cable Certified for Canada||QPOR7.E467754|
|Repackaged Electrical Construction Equipment||TEOZ.E335292|
Grand Brass Lamp Parts
221 Grand St, New York, NY
1987 NY Times Article
1991 NY Times Article
Our Loving Father and Father-in-Law and Founder of
Grand Brass Lamp Parts
Died at 94 Years Old on October 7, 2007
Grand Brass & Electrical Supply, NYC (1940)
Grand Brass Lamp Parts, NYC (1980)
History of Lighting
An Argand oil lamp illustrated in the 1822 portrait
of James Peale by his brother Charles Wilson Peale.
Before the turn of the 20th Century, most of the New York and New Jersey Metropolitan area was Rural. Oil Lanterns were the norm and the big cities were using natural gas for heating and lighting.
Gas Lighting had its drawbacks, to make it brighter you also made it hotter in the room, and having open gas jets and flames in enclosed indoor spaces made it dangerous in many ways.
Godalming in Old Picture Postcards, vol 1, page 1
In 1881, Godalming, England came to world attention when it became the first town in the United Kingdom to install a public supply of electricity, and the first in the world to boast electric street lighting, driven by a dynamo at Westbrook watermill.
It was not the first place to have electric street lighting but it was the first place in the world to have public electricity.
Their system soon failed to maintenance costs and unreliability and the town faded back to oil and gas.
In the United States, Thomas Edison was working hard at making his system reliable. Edison and his team of researchers in Edison's laboratory in Menlo Park, N.J., tested more than 3,000 designs for bulbs between 1878 and 1880.
In November 1879, Edison filed a patent for an electric lamp with a carbon filament. The patent listed several materials that might be used for the filament, including cotton, linen and wood. Edison spent the next year finding the perfect filament for his new bulb, testing more than 6,000 plants to determine which material would burn the longest.
Several months after the 1879 patent was granted, Edison and his team discovered that a carbonized bamboo filament could burn for more than 1,200 hours. Bamboo was used for the filaments in Edison's bulbs until it began to be replaced by longer-lasting materials in the 1880s and early 1900s.
In 1892, General Electric took control of Edison's company and soon abandoned his DC dead end. In 1896 they introduced their first Edison screw base socket for AC use. The design, which was patented by J. C. Tournier, featured an improved switch design housed in a Lange shell. Tournier's switch was ingeniously simple, but it took up more space than the older Lange-type switches, necessitating an increase in the diameter of the upper half of the shell. The socket also featured a domical cap and a flat switch paddle with the GECo logo molded into it.
By around 1900, most of the other manufacturers, which numbered about 20 at this point, had adopted the new switch design and shell shape, bringing out their own versions with their name imprinted on the switch paddle. The main producers at this point were General Electric (GECo), Perkins, Paiste and Bryant (who had taken over Westinghouse’s socket production in 1890).
Four 1890s Lange style Sockets with the most common Bulb Bases
In 1907, Bryant changed the shape of both the Perkins and Bryant switch paddles to a straight rectangle, doing away with the arched top and curved lettering. Through the decade of the 1900s, the Lange 2-screw system of shell joinery remained the market standard, although it increasingly came to be perceived as both too expensive to manufacture and too troublesome to install. During this period, nearly every manufacturer experimented with some form of simpler snap-in joinery, typically involving 2 or 4 pins, slots and/or louvers. None of these attempts, however, worked very well and they were all fairly short-lived.
In 1908 Bryant finally solved the problem with an ingenious new method of “snapping” the socket shell together, which they dubbed the “New Wrinkle” concept. This new configuration featured a ring of 20 louvered slots around the top of the brass shell tube and a corresponding ring of perforations around the inside of the cap rim.
This allowed the two parts to be securely joined by simply pushiing the tube into the cap and snapping it in place, a method that greatly facilitated the job of installing sockets inside husks. In addition, the 20 louvers permitted the socket tube to be locked in 20 different positions, eliminating the need to secure the cap at just the right angle so that the paddle would be pointing in the right direction.
The Bryant New Wrinkle or “louvered” socket shell design was so well received that by 1910 all of the major socket producers had obtained licenses to use the new technology. Many continued to offer their Lange-type sockets for a few more years, but by 1913 they had pretty much disappeared from the market.
By 1913 the use of gas lighting remained strong, especially in residential areas. In fact, the city was still actively trying to improve gas lighting and conducted more than 44,000 trials using “inverted” mantle gas burners.
This was a time when electric lighting was also still improving but had not quite yet caught up to gas lighting as more utilitarian. Only 37,000 electric street lights had been installed by 1913, but it is worth noting the lead engineer in charge of lighting the City believed electricity would soon make its way to being more popular in the residential areas, especially as improvements to the arc lamp were finished.
It wasn’t until the 1930s that long-drop luminaires, designed more for gas lighting, started to be replaced by luminaires designed specifically for incandescent lamps. The incandescent light bulb, which uses a tungsten filament that is a more bendable wire, unlike the arc lamps, were the first low power electric lights to be used in cities worldwide.
Since the initial invention of the first Lamp Socket, a shell, interior, and a cap, the basic design didn't change all that much over the years.
That is until 2006, when Grand Brass Lamp Parts changed the lamp socket exterior from consisting of two parts: a shell and a cap, to include a shell, a cap and a capture ring, having a threaded interior wall sized to engage the threaded portion of the shell.
You can review the actual Patent to that new lamp socket design here.
For more on the history of lighting and lamp sockets check out LampSockets.com